Sliced chicken breast marinated in a homemade honey mustard sauce makes for a fun take on the traditional “chicken nugget.” Be sure to have their favorite sauce on the table so your toddler can pick up and dip on their own!
What you’ll need
- 1 lb chicken breast sliced into long strips (or 6-8 chicken tenders)
- ½ cup bread crumbs or panko
- Dried or fresh parsley (optional)
Ingredients for Homemade Marinade
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper (optional)
Makes 6-8 servings
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all ingredients for marinade in bowl and whisk together.
- Cut/slice desired amount of chicken breasts into strips and place in resealable zipper bag.
- Place marinade into the bag to coat the chicken and place in the refrigerator. (You can prepare this in the morning and cook for dinner.)
- Pour breadcrumbs into a small shallow bowl and dip each marinated chicken strip in the crumbs. Lightly shake off the excess crumbs.
- Place the chicken breasts on prepared baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil, and continue baking for another 3-5 minutes until the chicken has evenly browned and is cooked to an internal temperature of 165° F.
Always check with your child’s doctor first if you have any questions about introducing new foods and textures.
Jaime Windrow, RD and Happy Mama Mentor