This homemade version of the classic applesauce will have your baby’s taste buds zinging with the added sweetness of strawberries. Serve with cereal, yogurt, cottage cheese, or just on its own.
3Makes 3 cups pureed
What you’ll need
- 3 apples, cubed
- ¼ cup water
- 12 strawberries
- ½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
How to make it
- Wash and cut apples into cubes and place in crockpot along with ¼ cup water, ½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Mix ingredients together and cook on low for about 6 hours.
- About half way through cooking, add strawberries.
- After 6 hours, let apple-strawberry mixture cool for at least 30 minutes. Watch out, mixture may still be hot, do not handle until cooled down.
- Place mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth with no lumps.
- Place in airtight containers and refrigerate.
- Serve with homemade baby cereal, yogurt, cottage cheese, or on its own.
Always check with your child’s doctor first if you have any questions about introducing new foods and textures.
Jaime Windrow, RD and Happy Mama Mentor