A puree recipe that grows with your baby! For baby, serve this delicious puree as is. For a toddler version, you can add in a few more chickpeas along with a pinch of garlic and cumin for a fun take on a veggie hummus. Serve with your toddler’s favorite cut veggies and whole grain pita wedges for some dipping fun.
2Makes approximately 2 cups
What you’ll need
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
How to make it
- In medium saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. In a steamer basket, add in the sweet potato cubes, carrots and chickpeas, place basket over boiling water and cover. Steam for 12-15 minutes or until all ingredients are tender when pricked with a fork. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Reserve steamer water.
- Transfer all ingredients into a blender or food processor and puree for 1-2 minutes or until smooth, adding in additional reserved steamer water in 1/4 cup increments if needed.
To make into a Toddler Dip – follow directions as stated above, but increase the chickpeas to 1 cup. Then add into the blender 1 garlic clove, 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Blend as directed. Serve with cut veggies and whole grain pita bread wedges.
Always check with your child’s doctor first if you have any questions about introducing new foods and textures.
Michele from BabyFoode