A thick and hearty bolognese sauce with added veggies is the perfect way to introduce this classic dish to your baby. This sauce is versatile and can be served over your favorite pasta, brown rice, zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
6Makes 6 servings (1/2 cup per serving)
What you’ll need
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound ground beef, turkey, chicken or pork
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Your choice of pasta
How to make it
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add in the onion and garlic and let cook for 2-3 minutes or until translucent, stirring often.
- Add in the ground meat and cook for 4-5 minutes or until browned, stirring often to break up the meat. Drain any excess fat.
- Add in the carrot and zucchini and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, basil and oregano and let it come to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Serve with pasta of your choice: whole grain, gluten-free, lentil, chickpea, spaghetti squash, brown rice or even zucchini noodles.
Always check with your child’s doctor first if you have any questions about introducing new foods and textures.
Michele from BabyFoode