For a fun twist on the classic tuna salad sandwich, this recipe uses creamy avocado in place of the mayo! The tuna is mixed with celery and apple chunks for some crunch, before spooning the tasty tuna salad into a mini pita pocket.
4Makes 4 servings (1/2 pita pocket per serving)
What you’ll need
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 can of low-sodium chunk light tuna
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup apple, finely chopped
- Pepper, to taste (optional)
- 2 mini whole grain pita breads
How to make it
- In a small bowl, smash the avocado until smooth. Mix in the Dijon mustard and cumin.
- Add in the tuna, celery, apple,and pepper (if using) and stir until combined.
- Cut a pita pocket in half and carefully spoon the tuna salad inside the middle of the pocket.
Always check with your child’s doctor first if you have any questions about introducing new foods and textures.
Michele from BabyFoode