Easy Tomato Soup with Cheesy Bread Dippers
- Makes 4 small and 2 adult servings
- Contains: dairy
What you’ll need
Ingredients for Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Pepper to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
Ingredients for Cheesy Bread Dippers
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread or loaf bread
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian or mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian spice mix
How to make it
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender, roughly 4 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, broth, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can make the cheesy bread dippers. Heat the oven to a broil and line a baking sheet with tin foil. Butter or oil one side of the bread and place it (butter side up) on the baking sheet. Broil until golden brown. Remove from oven, carefully flip the bread over and sprinkle the non-cooked side with cheese and Italian spice mix. Place back under the broiler and heat until cheese is golden brown. Let cool and then cut into 2-inch strips.
- When soup is done, add in the yogurt and using a blender or hand immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Let cool slightly and then serve the soup with the cheesy bread dippers.
Always check with your child’s doctor first if you have any questions about introducing new foods and textures.